- Health tax splits California amid need for Trump's approval
- Hedge or Seek Yield: What Advisors Need to Know
- Sectors, Stocks and ETFs That Pay Sizable Dividends In A Trade War Environment
- Uber’s first employee, Ryan Graves, resigns from board
- Musk’s SpaceX raised over $1 billion in six months: filings
MIAMI — Two men who Florida police say tried to impale an officer with a tow truck are charged with attempted murder. The Miami Herald reported Wednesday that 26-year-old Yariel Valdespino Rodriguez and 32-year-old Sergio Aguirre have been arrested in connection to the crime.
Miami-Dade police say the men used the tow truck to steal a pickup truck and then led police on a chase. Police say an officer tried to pull over the tow truck for improperly hauling the pickup truck. The report says an officer approached and the men dropped the pickup and fled.
According to CBS Miami, police say the driver of the tow truck stopped, lowered the lift arm, and drove the truck in reverse at a high rate of speed, slamming into one of the police cruisers “in an attempt to impale the officer.” The officer was not injured.
“It could have gone through the windshield and killed our officer,” police spokesman Alvaro Zabaleta reportedly said on Wednesday morning, referring to the tow truck boom.
The newspaper doesn’t say if the two suspects have lawyers.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.