Two hostages have been released in Haiti, group says

FAN Editor
Headquarters of Christian Aid Ministries in Millersburg
FILE PHOTO: A sign marks the entrance of the home office of Christian Aid Ministries in Millersburg, Ohio, U.S., October 17, 2021. REUTERS/Aaron Josefczyk

November 21, 2021

By Gessika Thomas

PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) – Two of the 17 American and Canadian Christian missionaries taken hostage in Haiti last month have been released, the group that arranged for their trip to the Caribbean nation said on Sunday, without giving further details.

“We have learned that two of the hostages in Haiti were released,” Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries said in a statement.

The 16 Americans and one Canadian, including five children, were abducted in October after visiting an orphanage. The incident has highlighted Haiti’s dire kidnapping problem, which has worsened amid economic and political crises and escalating violence.

Haitian officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The officials have previously said a gang known as 400 Mawozo was demanding $1 million per person ransom. A man identifying himself as the leader of the gang said in a video posted on YouTube last month that he was willing to kill hostages if he did not get what he wanted.

(Reporting by Gessika Thomas; Editing by Will Dunham)

Free America Network Articles

Leave a Reply

Next Post

Venezuela’s Maduro says will not restart talks with opposition until ally freed

Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro holds a small Venezuelan Constitution as he delivers remarks next to his wife Cilia Flores, after casting his vote during the election for state governors and local mayors, in Caracas, Venezuela November 21, 2021. REUTERS/Fausto Torrealba November 21, 2021 CARACAS (Reuters) – Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro […]

You May Like