
Police officers at the scene after a man was shot and killed by armed police on February 2, 2020 in London, England.
Hollie Adams | Getty Images
A male suspect wearing a hoax explosive device was shot dead Sunday in south London by police officers after he stabbed two people in an Islamist-related terrorist incident, London’s Metropolitan Police said.
The police said three people were injured during the attack which took place in London’s Streatham neighborhood. Two victims were stabbed and a third sustained minor injuries caused by glass after the police discharged a firearm. All three were transported to the hospital.
One victim, a man, is being treated for life-threatening injuries. The other victim, a woman, has non-life threatening injuries. The third victim, also a woman, was treated for minor injuries.
A device later determined to be a hoax was found strapped to the body of the suspect, the police said in a statement.
Officers from the counter terrorism command are leading an investigation into the incident, which is believed to be “Islamist-related,” said Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service Lucy D’Orsi.
The London Ambulance Service said it was called at 1:58 pm local time following “reports of an incident in Streatham High Road.” Just before 4 pm the police said via Twitter that the situation had been “fully contained.”
London’s mayor Sadiq Khan said in a statement via Twitter that he was in “close contact with the Met Commissioner and local representatives.” He thanked the police, security and emergency services staff. “Terrorists seek to divide us and to destroy our way of life — here in London we will never let them succeed,” he added.
U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson thanked the emergency personnel while saying his thoughts were with those affected.