- Former Israeli PM Barak to chair medical marijuana company
- India’s top court upholds national identity project, but limits its uses
- MLB roundup: Scherzer reaches 300 K’s
- Italy Deputy PM repeats 2019 deficit above 2 percent of GDP not a taboo
- Brent oil trades steady near four-year high while U.S. crude retreats
Maryland, the second highest-ranking Democrat in the House of Representatives, has been admitted to the hopital with a case of pneumonia, a spokesperson told CBS News.
“Mr. Hoyer was admitted to the George Washington University Hospital yesterday and was diagnosed with pneumococcal pneumonia,” said Hoyer’s communications director, Katie Grant. “He is being treated with antibiotics and resting, and is expected to make a full recovery quickly. He looks forward to being back at work very soon.”
The 79-year-old Hoyer is the House Minority Whip. Originally elected in 1981, he is the most senior member of the Democratic caucus.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.