- 5 civilians dead, 5 officers wounded in Illinois shooting
- Community learns sign language to engage with 2-year-old girl
- Wall Street Week Ahead: Profit estimates may be adding in too much cost risk
- Anonymous donor helps Gold Star family
- Legal challenges to Trump emergency declaration face uphill battle
Security guards stand outside the Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul, Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018. Turkey said Tuesday it will search the consulate as it investigates why journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a contributor to the Washington Post, vanished there Oct. 2, an extraordinary probe of a diplomatic post amid Turkish officials’ fears the writer had been killed inside the building. Saudi officials said he left the building unharmed.(AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)
The Latest on the disappearance of a Saudi journalist who went missing after visiting his country’s consulate in Istanbul (all times local):
Continue Reading Below
A pro-government Turkish newspaper has published the names and photographs of 15 Saudi nationals who allegedly arrived in Istanbul on board two private jets the day journalist Jamal Khashoggi went missing.
Turkish officials have said they believe the Saudi writer and government critic was killed inside his country’s consulate in Istanbul after he visited the mission to obtain a document required to marry his Turkish fiancee. Saudi Arabia has denied the allegations.
Sabah newspaper, which is close to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, on Wednesday revealed the identities of what it called a “mysterious” 15-member “assassination squad” who were allegedly involved in Khashoggi’s disappearance.
The paper printed pictures of the 15 Saudi nationals that appeared to be taken by security cameras during police control at an airport.
Sabah revealed the times the Saudi nationals arrived and left Istanbul. They checked into two hotels in Istanbul, the paper said.
The fiancée of a missing Saudi contributor to The Washington Post is asking President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump to “help shed light” on his disappearance.
In a column published Wednesday by the Post, Hatice Cengiz wrote: “I also urge Saudi Arabia, especially King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to show the same level of sensitivity and release CCTV footage from the consulate.”
Writer Jamal Khashoggi, who had written critically about Prince Mohammed and the kingdom, vanished Oct. 2 while on a trip to the consulate to get paperwork so he could be married to Cengiz.
Turkish officials say they fear Khashoggi was killed, an allegation dismissed as “baseless” by Saudi Arabia.
Turkey said Tuesday it would search the Saudi Consulate. Saudi officials haven’t acknowledged that.