Soccer-Pele to leave intensive care this week, says daughter

FAN Editor
FILE PHOTO: Pele congratulates Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo
FILE PHOTO: Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo is congratulated by Pele after being awarded the FIFA Ballon d’Or 2013 in Zurich January 13, 2014. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann/File Photo

September 14, 2021

(Reuters) – Pele will be moved out of intensive care in the next day or two as the Brazil soccer great continues his recovery from surgery, his daughter Kely Nascimento said.

The 80-year-old, three-times World Cup winner has been in the Alberto Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo since doctors removed a tumour from his colon earlier this month.

“He is doing well post surgery, he is not in pain and is in a good mood (annoyed that he can only eat jello but will persevere!). He will move into a regular room in the next day or two and then go home,” Nascimento said on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CTxm_39rqGr.

“He is strong and stubborn and with the support and care of the brilliant team at Einstein and all of the love, energy and light that the world is sending, he will get through this!”

The hospital said last Friday that Pele was recovering satisfactorily.

Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided. His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.

(Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Free America Network Articles

Leave a Reply

Next Post

COVID-19 cases in southeast China more than double as Delta spreads

FILE PHOTO: People wearing protective face masks walk along The Bund in front of the Lujiazui financial district of Pudong, following new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Shanghai, China August 25, 2021. REUTERS/Aly Song September 14, 2021 BEIJING (Reuters) -New local COVID-19 infections more than doubled in China’s […]