- Trump, House Republicans discuss further tax cuts at White House
- Senate Republican leader warns Russia not to meddle in 2018 elections
- Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- United shares rise as second-quarter profit beats expectations
- Trump’s performance with Putin not a ‘tipping point’ for his base: Former Bush aide
NEW YORK — Liberty Island in New York Harbor was being evacuated Wednesday after a woman climbed onto the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty, the National Park Service confirms to CBS News. Spokesperson Jerry Willis says people on Liberty Island are being taken to neighboring Ellis Island, Battery Park in New York City or Liberty State Park in New Jersey.
The climber was on the base of the pedestal. U.S. Park Police and the NYPD are on the pedestal talking to the woman, trying to convince her to come down, Willis said.
This is a developing story.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.