- Former Israeli PM Barak to chair medical marijuana company
- India’s top court upholds national identity project, but limits its uses
- MLB roundup: Scherzer reaches 300 K’s
- Italy Deputy PM repeats 2019 deficit above 2 percent of GDP not a taboo
- Brent oil trades steady near four-year high while U.S. crude retreats
NEW YORK — Liberty Island in New York Harbor was being evacuated Wednesday after a woman climbed onto the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty, the National Park Service confirms to CBS News. Spokesperson Jerry Willis says people on Liberty Island are being taken to neighboring Ellis Island, Battery Park in New York City or Liberty State Park in New Jersey.
The climber was on the base of the pedestal. U.S. Park Police and the NYPD are on the pedestal talking to the woman, trying to convince her to come down, Willis said.
This is a developing story.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.