- Raytheon International CEO says defense market still has room to run
- Boeing starts air show with order for jets worth $4.7B
- England’s strong World Cup run will boost home support: Stones
- EU official urges Trump, Putin not to destroy global order
- Malaysian lawmakers take oath, including indicted ex-leader
NEW YORK — Miki Sudo downed 37 franks to win her fifth-straight title in the women’s competition of the annual. The Las Vegas competitor fell short of the 41 hot dogs she consumed last year but still beat out second-place finisher Michelle Lesco, of Tucson, Arizona.
Lesco chowed down 28 wieners and buns.
Thousands of attendees braved 83-degree temperatures and a heat index of 91 degrees to witness the annual July Fourth competition on the Coney Island boardwalk.
Ten-time winner Joey “Jaws” Chestnut will confront 20 other men during the men’s competition later Wednesday for the coveted Mustard Belt.
Sudo was a fan favorite, drawing big cheers from the crowd during her performance, which was slightly delayed after she requested new water to soak her buns.
© 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.