- Big Oil undermines U.N. climate goals with $50 billion of new projects: report
- Explainer: U.S., China more divided than ever as new trade talks loom
- Hurricane survivors face uncertain future in the Bahamas
- Jury reaches verdict in "Ghost Ship" fire that left 36 dead
- Investigators believe California boat fire started on the second level
Las Vegas — A lawsuit filed last September in Nevada state court accusingof rape has been dropped by a woman who alleges the soccer star to keep quiet about a 2009 encounter at a Las Vegas hotel penthouse. But a federal lawsuit filed in January by the same woman is still active, and Las Vegas police said their investigation of the allegations remains open.
Ronaldo lawyer Peter Christiansen declined comment Wednesday about the voluntary dismissal of the state lawsuit last month. The soccer star has denied the 2009 allegations, BBC News reported.
The woman’s lawyer, Leslie Mark Stovall, didn’t immediately respond to telephone and email messages. Ronaldo plays in Italy for the Turin-based based soccer club Juventus.
It’s not clear if he was ever legally served with the state lawsuit or if he received documents in the federal case.