- China can maintain ‘healthy’ growth despite trade friction: planning official
- Dollar slips from two-year highs as U.S. rate cut bets grow
- Pro-EU Dutch parties see surprise gains in first results of EU election
- U.K. PM Theresa May says she will resign amid Brexit mutiny
- Suit seeks $100 million for family of woman Border Patrol killed
Migos wins pop/rock duo or group
9:54 p.m.: Rita Ora and Constance Wu presented pop/rock duo or group, which went to Migos — their first American Music Award. Cardi B, who is married to Migos’ Offset, stood and cheered as her husband took the stage. Offset and Quavo gave a shout-out to their bandmate, Takeoff, in their acceptance speech as they thanked their family and loved ones for supporting them.
Kelsea Ballerini and The Chainsmokers introduced Post Malone and Ty Dolla $ign, who performed “Psycho” from an intimate, simple stage. After “Psycho,” Post Malone sang “Better Now” as flames surrounded his stage.
Dua Lipa, who was up for artist of the year, performed “One Kiss” in a warehouse-themed set. She and her backup dancers wore rave kid outfits, with Lipa in a neon bikini top and track pants. An illustration of Lipa’s face graced a wall. Lipa transitioned into “Electricity.”
Vanessa Hudgens introduced her “Second Act” co-star Jennifer Lopez to the stage, who debuted her new song “Limitless.” Lopez wore a glittery silver ensemble as she performed against a storm cloud- and lightning-filled backdrop. The audience, including Lopez’s boyfriend Alex Rodriguez, gave the singer a standing ovation.
In the audience, Ross asked Rodriguez, “What are your beauty secrets” before admitting she didn’t actually have time to hear the answer.