- Turkey's Erdogan claims victory in bid to solidify grip on power
- Athletics: Lyles set to turn attention to 200m in Europe
- Iguanas face off in Starbucks parking lot
- Firefighters accused of making sex tape in station leave department
- Trump issues challenge to trading partners: Bring down barriers or face 'reciprocity'
ALEXANDRIA, Va. — Authorities say a resource officer at a Virginia middle school accidentally fired his weapon inside his office Tuesday. No one was injured in the incident.
The incident took place inside George Washington Middle School at 9 a.m. Tuesday. The Alexandria Police Department said they are investigating what went wrong.
In a statement, the department said the officer “immediately checked for potential injuries in the area” and determined no one was injured. He then contacted his supervisor and the school’s staff.
“All students and staff are safe and classes continued as normal,” the statement said.
The resource officer is a five-year veteran of the city’s police department. He has been placed on leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
The incident takes place amid aon whether schools should or provide armed security to prevent shootings.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.