- Who burned Notre Dame? Brussels goes after fake news as EU election nears
- Political climate change: Australian leaders make last pitch to voters
- Hong Kong democracy leader Joshua Wong sent back to jail
- Toddler found safe almost 3 days after vanishing in Kentucky woods
- At least 9 trapped in Shanghai building collapse
Last Updated Oct 23, 2018 2:31 AM EDT
University of Utah police investigating reports of shots fired and a possible kidnapping Monday night quickly found a body in a car in a campus parking lot, CBS Salt Lake City affiliate KUTV reports. Authorities identified the suspect as a convicted sex offender and were tying to track him down.
University of Utah Police Lt. Brian Wahlin told reporters the victim was a female student.
The car was near the South Medical Tower, a residential structure.
Students were ordered to secure in place, the school tweeted. The order included the University of Utah Hospital. But then the all-clear was issued:
Morning and evening classes were canceled.
The suspect was described as a 37-year-old black male. He was believed to be 6 feet 3 inches tall and about 250 pounds, wearing a gray beanie, black pants, white shoes and a white hoodie.
Rowland, a convicted sex offender, was apparently last seen on foot headed away from the medical towers.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.