- Exclusive: Ex-South Sudan rebel leader believes unity government won’t be ready by May 12
- Scrapping India’s trade privileges could hit U.S. consumers, senators say
- China’s JD.com boss criticizes ‘slackers’ as company makes cuts
- Court won't immediately stop wait-in-Mexico asylum policy
- Thunderstorms hit the Midwest
The winning numbers drawn Friday for Mega Millions are 4, 24, 46, 61, 70 and the Mega Ball number is 7. The top prize reached $548 million, with a one-time cash option of $309 million.
Mega Millions’ record haul was a $656 million jackpot shared by people in three states in 2012. Just behind that was a $648 million pot won in California and Georgia on Dec. 17, 2013.
The biggest prize won on a single ticket was for $543 million. An office pool of 11 co-workers in California divided it.
Meanwhile, Powerball, which will be drawn on Saturday, has climbed to $314 million.
Friday’s winning Mega Millions numbers
- 4, 24, 46, 61, 70
- Mega Ball: 7
The jackpot’s been growing since it was last won July 24.
How to play Mega Millions
Mega Millions tickets cost $2 per play and there are a total of nine ways to win a prize, ranging from the jackpot down to $2. You can play Mega Millions in 46 localities: 44 states plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The odds of winning a jackpot remain abysmal at 1 in 258.9 million for Mega Millions and 1 in 292.2 million for Powerball.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.