- Trump arrives in Japan for ceremonial visit as trade tensions loom
- U.S. troop move to Middle East ‘dangerous for international peace’: Iran’s Zarif
- Iraq’s racy TV in Ramadan revives an industry – and draws censure
- Police say 10 wounded following shooting at New Jersey bar
- Young homebuyers scramble as prices rise faster than incomes
One of the world’s biggest tobacco companies is diving into the cannabis market with a $2.4 billion investment in Cronos Group, a Canadian medical and recreational marijuana company.
Altria, which makes Marlboro cigarettes, is taking a 45 percent stake in the Toronto company.
Continue Reading Below
Cronos said Friday that the Richmond, Virginia, tobacco company will pay another $1.4 billion for warrants that if exercised, would give the Altria a 55 percent majority ownership stake.
Cronos first announced that it was in talks with Altria this week.