- Indonesian president’s coalition to win parliament majority: survey
- Asian shares up on accommodative Fed; growth concerns linger
- Boeing, FAA officials called to testify in U.S. Senate on 737 MAX plane crashes
- New Zealand to ban all assault arms, 'military-style semi-automatic weapons' immediately
- Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, The Killers among Woodstock 50 lineup
A blast in an industrial park in a southwestern province has killed 19 people and injured 12 others, China’s official Xinhua News Agency said Friday.
The blast occurred at the Yibin Hengda Technology Co., a chemical plant in an industrial park in the city of Yibin in Sichuan province at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Xinhua said.
Continue Reading Below
Xinhua cited the Jiang’an county government as saying the fire was put out on Friday morning and the injured were in stable condition.
Efforts have been made to improve work safety standards but deadly industrial accidents remain common in China, where enforcement of safety regulations can sometimes be lax.