- White House struggles to contain political outcry over Trump-Putin summit
- ECB to hike rates before next downturn, say confident economists: Reuters poll
- China begins three-year plan to integrate Yangtze delta region: media
- New details emerge about harrowing Alaska plane crash
- Here's how much your next car could cost if Trump auto tariffs go through
If you’re tired of getting new message alerts from a frequent texter, you turn them off without blocking them entirely. You’ll still get an alert if someone important sends a message, but your phone will no longer buzz if you get a message from the chatty person.
It’s really easy to do, but it’s kind of a hidden feature. Here’s how to do it.
- Open your iMessage app.
- Select the ongoing conversation with the person you’d like to mute.
- Tap the “i” on the top-right of the screen.
- Toggle the option to “Hide alerts” from that person.
That’s it. You’ll still see a little red dot if you’ve received a message, but the conversation won’t flood your phone with pings and notifications. It can be reversed, too, by following the steps and toggling “Hide alerts” back to off.
If you’re stuck in a group of chatty people on an iPhone, you can also easily leave that group by tapping the same “i” button as before, and then choosing the option at the bottom of the page to leave the group.
This only works for iMessage groups, so it won’t work if you’re in a group conversation with people using Android phones.