- Halep beats Serena Williams to win Wimbledon singles title
- All the work’s done, Federer says ahead of Wimbledon final
- Disney, Charter talks could affect price of cable in the streaming era
- Merkel’s health is a private matter, Germans say after shaking bouts
- Frank Lloyd Wright buildings recognized for "organic architecture"
Tennis – Wimbledon – All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain – July 13, 2019 Romania’s Simona Halep celebrates winning the final against Serena Williams of the U.S. REUTERS/Hannah McKay
July 13, 2019
LONDON (Reuters) – Simona Halep became the first Romanian to win a Wimbledon singles title after she beat seven-times champion Serena Williams 6-2 6-2 in the final on Saturday.
It was Halep’s second Grand Slam title following her triumph at Roland Garros last year.
The result denied Williams from equaling Margaret Court’s all-time record of winning 24 Grand Slam singles titles.
(Reporting by Pritha Sarkar, editing by Toby Davis)