- Kone explores partnership to bid for Thyssenkrupp elevator business: sources
- South Africa tries to contain ‘Afrophobia’ fallout as riots upstage summit
- Mexico prepares for migration meeting as U.S. deal expires
- Pope touts "weapons of peace" and reconciliation in Mozambique
- Hurricane Dorian survivor in Bahamas: "There was nothing left"
Tennis – Wimbledon – All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain – July 13, 2019 Romania’s Simona Halep celebrates winning the final against Serena Williams of the U.S. REUTERS/Hannah McKay
July 13, 2019
LONDON (Reuters) – Simona Halep became the first Romanian to win a Wimbledon singles title after she beat seven-times champion Serena Williams 6-2 6-2 in the final on Saturday.
It was Halep’s second Grand Slam title following her triumph at Roland Garros last year.
The result denied Williams from equaling Margaret Court’s all-time record of winning 24 Grand Slam singles titles.
(Reporting by Pritha Sarkar, editing by Toby Davis)