by Daveda Gruber:
Do you remember the New Mexico compound where children were found to have been abused and one child’s remains were discovered? Maybe the fact that the compound was a makeshift “Jihad Terrorist Camp” rings a bell?
I’ve wondered if the crimes would ever face justice. My patience has paid off. Three suspects were tied to the New Mexico compound where alleged Muslim extremists have been reported to train children to be school shooters.
It appears that not dotting the “i’s” and crossing the “t’s” can lead to consequences.
District Judge Emilio Chavez dismissed charges against three of the five defendants. Lucas Morton, Subhannah Wahhaj and Hujrah Wahhaj had charges against them dropped in a ruling that authorities say violated the state’s “10-day rule.”
Prosecutors missed the 10-day limit for an evidentiary hearing to establish probable cause. Taos District Attorney Donald Gallegos’ office missed the deadline requiring a preliminary hearing to be held within 10 days of the Aug. 3 arrests.
Judges dropped all child abuse charges against the five clan members.
The five suspects who were originally arrested by authorities after the August raid that followed a month’s long inquiry into the disappearance of Abdul-ghani Wahhaj, aged three years old. The boy had severe medical issues and disappeared from the state of Georgia in December.
An official had said at the time that the occupants of the compound were “most likely heavily armed and considered extremist of the Muslim belief.”
At the time of the initial arrests, agents recovered a ten-page, handwritten document, titled “Phases of a Terrorist Attack,” from the compound. That document included instructions for “the one-time terrorist” and provided detailed instructions on determining ideal attack locations, using “choke points,” defending “safe havens,” escaping perimeter rings, and detecting sniper positions. This document indicates the defendants were not merely talking a deadly talk, but had been carefully planning an attack.
Compound Letter by on Scribd
Now, the leaders who are suspected of running a terrorist training camp, are back in custody. They have been charged with terror, kidnapping and firearms offenses.
Gallegos’ unprofessional approach to the case allowed the alleged suspects to go free. He is facing calls for his resignation.
On Saturday, The Republican gubernatorial nominee, Rep. Stevan Pearce called for Gallegos to resign immediately.
Pearce, thanked federal authorities afterward for stepping in “when our state officials prove incapable of fulfilling their basic duties.”
Mr. Pearce said in a statement, “The state and the nation have been disgusted by the incompetence displayed by the Taos District Attorney and I renew my call for his resignation.”
U.S. Attorney John C. Anderson put out a statement that said, “The superseding indictment alleges a conspiracy to stage deadly attacks on American soil. These allegations remind us of the dangers of terrorism that continue to confront our nation, and the allegation concerning the death of a young child only underscores the importance of prompt and effective intervention by law enforcement. I commend our law enforcement partners for their ongoing diligence and outstanding work in identifying and disabling imminent threats of targeted violence.”
I have followed this story and at least I feel that justice may actually be served now that the little mess created by not following rules in an indictment has been taken care of by a higher ruling.