- Thousands of Volvo workers face layoffs as Mack Truck sees first strike in 35 years
- Disney's 'Maleficent' sequel flops at domestic box office even as it takes top weekend spot
- 3 US Army soldiers killed during training at Fort Stewart, officials say
- Surprised over Doral flap, Trump thinks he’s still in hospitality business: Mulvaney
- Anti-separatists rally in Barcelona after pro-independence unrest
Anthony Harvey | Getty Images Entertainment | Getty Images
The Walt Disney Co.’s “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” has knocked “Joker” out of the No. 1 spot at the box office, but just barely.
Studios on Sunday estimate that the film starring Angelina Jolie grossed $36 million in North America and $117 million internationally in its first weekend in theaters. The first film had a much stronger domestic showing, opening to nearly $70 million domestically in 2014.
Warner Bros.’ “Joker” landed in second place in its third weekend with $29.2 million. The villain origin story has grossed over $247 million domestically.
Third place went to another sequel, Columbia Pictures’ “Zombieland: Double Tap” with $26.7 million. The R-rated comedy comes 10 years after the original.
And in limited release, Taika Waititi’s Nazi satire “Jojo Rabbit” opened in five theaters with a strong $350,000.