- Impeachment inquiry, Warren-Biden matchup highlight U.S. Democratic debate
- Advantage climbers as 2020 Tour de France route revealed
- U.S. pension funds took positions in blacklisted Chinese surveillance company
- Fed's Bullard warns risks remain high and US economy may slow more sharply than expected
- Amazon is eating into Google's dominance in search ads
Restaurant owner Emily Schiffman checks her phone behind a candle-lit bar at Reel and Brand in Sonoma, California, on October 9, 2019, during a planned power outage by the Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) utility company.
Brittany Hosea-Small | AFP | Getty Images
California Governor Gavin Newsom said on Monday that utility Pacific Gas and Electric should be held accountable for mismanaging last week’s widespread power shutoffs and urged the company to provide credits or rebates to affected customers.
Separately, the California Public Utility Commission ordered corrective steps by PG&E, the state’s largest investor-owned
utility, while summoning eight of its top executives to an emergency meeting on Friday.
The utility, a unit of PG&E, cut off electricity to more than 730,000 homes and workplaces in northern California last week in a bid to reduce wildfire risks posed by extremely windy, dry weather.
The precautionary shutdown, unprecedented in its scope, has been widely criticized as being haphazardly conducted on too large a scale, with insufficient advance notice to affected customers.
On Thursday, the governor said the power outage followed years of mismanagement by the utility and branded its handling as “unacceptable.”
Chief Executive Bill Johnson publicly acknowledged that day that PG&E had fallen short in its preparations for the outage.
In response to state officials’ latest moves, Johnson again acknowledged room for improvement while defending the
broad-scale power cutoff as “the right decision.”
He added that there “were no catastrophic wildfires started” last week in the utility’s service areas.
Newsom said he had sent a letter to Public Utilities Commission President Marybel Batjer confirming that the agency
will conduct a comprehensive inquiry and review of PG&E’s planning, implementation and decision-making process failures.
“Californians should not pay the price for decades of PG&E’s greed and neglect,” Newsom said. “We will continue to hold PG&E accountable to make radical changes — prioritizing the safety of Californians and modernizing its equipment.”
Newsom also urged the company to provide affected customers an automatic credit or rebate of $100 per residential customer and $250 per small business as compensation.
Separately, Batjer sent PG&E executives an eight-page letter on Monday directing the utility outlining seven “major areas
where immediate corrective actions are required,” the commission said in a statement.
“Failures in execution, combined with the magnitude of this (power shutdown) event, created an unacceptable situation that should never be repeated,” Batjer wrote.
“Loss of power is not a mere inconvenience — it endangers lives and property, especially those individuals who are reliant
on power for medical reasons.”
Several of the corrective actions ordered by the commission dealt with website crashes and an overwhelming surge in call center activity the utility experienced during the shutdown.
PG&E filed for bankruptcy in January 2019, citing potential civil liabilities in excess of $30 billion from major wildfires
linked to its transmission wires and other equipment.