- Brazil court suspends Boeing-Embraer deal until next year
- US hiring slower but steady as employers add 155K jobs
- OPEC president: OPEC and non-OPEC countries to cut oil production 1.2 million barrels a day in January for 6 months
- Trump announces he'll nominate William Barr as next attorney general
- Elon Musk's latest legal bout with the UAW may have ripple effects across Silicon Valley
A Brazilian federal court has at least temporarily blocked a US$4.75 billion joint venture between Boeing and Embraer until the incoming government takes office.
The two aerospace companies announced their intentions in July to create a merger to run Embraer’s commercial aviation business. The deal would result in Boeing holding 80 percent of the resulting company and Embraer the remaining 20 percent.
Continue Reading Below
The left-leaning Workers’ Party said Friday that Judge Victorio Giuzio Neto ruled this week to block the merger following a petition by of the party’s congressmen. The lawmakers contend the deal will cost Brazil jobs and expertise.
Boeing declined to comment. Embraer sent a statement to The Associated Press saying it will appeal.
President-elect Jair Bolsonaro takes power Jan. 1.