- U.S.-bound migrant caravan stuck on Guatemalan border with Mexico
- Romania’s tug of war over rule of law nears the line
- Investigators receive over 1,000 tips in desperate search for Jayme Closs
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro does not rule out retaining central bank chief Goldfajn
- Attention, Seniors: Don't Get Too Comfortable With Your Social Security Raise
One director each from the two London-headquartered banks met to discuss the possible benefits of merging, the FT said. The conversation that took place was part of a wider effort by Barclays to improve its financial performance, according to the report.
Both Barclays and Stanchart declined to comment, said the FT. The two companies did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CNBC.
Sherborne holds a more than 5 percent stake in Barclays and is one of the bank’s largest shareholders.