- Apple announces October 30 event where it's expected to announce new iPads and Macs
- Coca-Cola names Brian Smith chief operating officer, taps new CFO
- Trump's attacks on Fed could backfire with higher rates, former vice chairman says
- White woman defends blocking black man from his apartment
- U.S. to merge Jerusalem consulate in to new embassy
Authorities say a semitrailer driver is in custody after he was found to be transporting 76 immigrants in Texas.
The U.S. Border Patrol said in a statement Monday that the immigrants were discovered Friday at a checkpoint on U.S. 83, about 35 miles (56 kilometers) north of Laredo in South Texas. The semitrailer stopped in the checkpoint’s primary lane where the driver, a U.S. citizen, was questioned about his immigration status.
His rig was kept for further inspection, and agents found the immigrants inside the trailer.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Nina Pruneda says the driver’s identity and other details about the case are being withheld at this time.