- 5 civilians dead, 5 officers wounded in Illinois shooting
- Community learns sign language to engage with 2-year-old girl
- Wall Street Week Ahead: Profit estimates may be adding in too much cost risk
- Anonymous donor helps Gold Star family
- Legal challenges to Trump emergency declaration face uphill battle
Authorities say a semitrailer driver is in custody after he was found to be transporting 76 immigrants in Texas.
The U.S. Border Patrol said in a statement Monday that the immigrants were discovered Friday at a checkpoint on U.S. 83, about 35 miles (56 kilometers) north of Laredo in South Texas. The semitrailer stopped in the checkpoint’s primary lane where the driver, a U.S. citizen, was questioned about his immigration status.
His rig was kept for further inspection, and agents found the immigrants inside the trailer.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Nina Pruneda says the driver’s identity and other details about the case are being withheld at this time.