- Four planes make emergency landings in Chile and Peru after bomb threats
- U.S. welcomes Saudi Arabia’s pledge of $100 million for Syria
- In reversal, Ball State removes name of Papa John's founder
- U.S. attorney general issues order to speed immigration cases
- Trump says the US 'will pay nothing' to Turkey for the release of detained pastor
Authorities say a semitrailer driver is in custody after he was found to be transporting 76 immigrants in Texas.
The U.S. Border Patrol said in a statement Monday that the immigrants were discovered Friday at a checkpoint on U.S. 83, about 35 miles (56 kilometers) north of Laredo in South Texas. The semitrailer stopped in the checkpoint’s primary lane where the driver, a U.S. citizen, was questioned about his immigration status.
His rig was kept for further inspection, and agents found the immigrants inside the trailer.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Nina Pruneda says the driver’s identity and other details about the case are being withheld at this time.